Cloth Diapering Update
- A few of you have emailed me and asked how the cloth diapering is going. Here is an update and my advice about starting CD (although I am still learning myself)!!
- I like one-size (OS) diapers because of cost efficency. They are not cheap by any means, but it keeps you from having to buy more when the move up to the next size. It just makes sense to me.
- I like pocket diapers because you can stuff them with a lot of padding at night, and make them a little trimmer for the day. Also, you don't have to wear a cover with them.
- I've tried 2 OS: Mommy's Touch pocket diaper & BumGenius 2.0 pocket diaper
My favorite is BumGenius 2.0 pocket diaper. It's different from the 1.0 in that you can wash these in hot water. Unfortunately, I only have 2 of them. They are easy to use (velcro), you can preset them to the smaller size (meaning, snap them down to the smaller size and all you have to do is velcro them when it's changing time) , they seem to not feel wet on the outside when he is wet. However, sometimes I will feel a little moisture around the outside edge at his legs. - Mommy's Touch is a snap pocket diaper. It's not pre-setable, so you have to take the time to do all the downsize snapping at diaper changing time. Not a huge deal unless you have a squirmy worm who makes it hard to do anyway. They do fit well, but my sitter says they get wet on the outside sometimes if it's a lot of teetee. I just recommended changing him atleast every 1 1/2 hours so that it isn't a problem. I haven't really noticed it myself.
- I still use disposables when we travel - just seems easier to me.
Here are some of my resources: - Baby Cotton Bottoms Bargain Basement : I bought my collection of Mommy's Touch used from this site and got a great deal.
- Diapering Your Baby, BBC Message Board : This is a message board for CD (cloth diapering) moms. You can post any question and get help. Plus they have a Diaper Swap on Thursdays where you can buy or sell CD at pretty good prices.
- Cloth Diapering 101 : Gives great pros and cons of all types of diapers
- MotherEase Diapers: I just ordered a trial of their one size diaper and a Medium cover. Laura used this brand and posted about really liking them. I actually emailed her for some advice about CD before Jax was born. These do require a cover though. But I'm guessing you would only need a few covers to use.
- Trial Pack: Will let you try an assortment of CD for $100 deposit for 21 days - will return $90 of your deposit to you when you mail back the trial pack.
- Diaper Pin: A great resource! They have product reviews of every diaper!
- Kelly's Closet, Baby's Abode , and Nicki's Diapers have rice paper flushable liners. I bought the Imse Vimse brand from Nicki's Diapers, but I think the Bummis brand on that site may be a little cheaper. I put the liners in his diapers so you can just flush it. It makes poopy cleanup very very easy.
I have some prefolds at home, and I have considered buying some Snappi Fasteners and Covers to try them out too. I just don't know. I'm such a novice at this! I'm overwhelmed by things like wool soakers; the SAHM or WAHM (stay at home mom, work at home mom) brands that are out there too - are they better made because of that or not??
Comments