Canoe Trip
Well, this past weekend we went canoeing down the Spring River (aka Redneck River) in Hardy, Arkansas. We camped out two nights at Many Islands Campground. I'm sure that any of you who have been here can understand why I called it the Redneck River. You have to work pretty hard to ignore the rude people on the river (troublemakers, John called them), the drunk people that distract you by making you stop moving forward just to watch them fall out of their canoes, the idiots shooting fireworks at people, the loud people at the campground at night, and worst of all the most unsanitary girls bathroom in existence. Despite all of that, we really did have a great time! John and I were the only ones from our group that flipped in Dead Man's curve, but we were also the only ones of our group that had on the life jackets. We put them on just for the curve!! So if anyone was going to flip . . . I guess it "should" have been us because at least one canoe from your group will usually flip. I gave that excuse to John since it was MY fault that we flipped. :) We made it through the first rapid and then I leaned too far. It wasn't bad though because I only banged my leg up a little, and we lost NOTHING from our canoe!!! We made it back to camp just in time for a quick shampoo in the river (the showers were way too nasty to attempt) and time to cook the hamburgers on the grill (which were excellent) before the bottom dropped out. I've never camped out in a thunderstorm before then, but it was some experience! The only good thing I can say about the storm is that we couldn't hear any of the obnoxious campers over the torrential flooding. The river really is beautiful though - we had excellent food both nights - we got to visit with our friends who we don't get to see very often - And Jaime entertained us with her singing! Here are just a few pics. I've still got to get the waterproof camera developed.
Me and John!
Some of our tents...
Jax stayed with my parents this weekend. They had a great time with him, and were really excited that he had reached for them while he was there. We were thrilled to see him when we got home!! I've got a few pics of Jax trying to crawl Sunday night. I will add them on Thursday!
Comments