Birth Story
So we got to the hospital bright and early Wednesday morning. By the time they got me to the room and checked me, I was already 4 cm. The doctor came through and broke my water at 8:30. I got really nervous because the hospital said I had Group B Strep, so I needed 5 hours of antibiotics before I could safely deliver Jax. BUT my doc's office report had said I was negative. So I was really confused by that, and told my doctor. He said they just misread my report - I was negative - and told them to discontinue my antibiotics. I really debated about the epidural, but I was progressing so fast that the nurse said I may not have a choice about doing it if I waited any longer. At the time, I still thought that I had GBS so I WANTED to slow down labor so they could get the antibiotics the full 5 hours to run. I'm glad I ended up not needing the antibiotics anyway. So I got the epi when I was 6 cm. The only problem I had was when they were doing my cath, I got really weak. I told them I was going to faint. Everything was going black. My blood pressure dropped to 47/28. It started getting better though when they rotated me from side to side. I was terrified then. It was really scary. After that, things still moved pretty quickly. I remember telling them that I felt like he was RIGHT THERE about 15 til 12:00. My doc got there at 12:00 and checked me and said I was almost ready to push. While he was suiting up, I said I really want to push right now. Of course no one was helping me then...he said go ahead and do a practice push. While I was pushing he yelled, STOP! This baby is coming now! He and the nurses got in a mad panic trying to get everything ready for me and baby! I held out through the next 2 contractions while they got ready, then it only took me 2 contractions to push him out. He was born at 12:18, weighed 6 lbs and 10 oz, 18 3/4", with a head full of dark hair! It was a very easy labor, and I was so grateful.
Name . . . It didn't come to us immediately. In fact, they brought us the birth certificate early Wednesday morning and said to complete it within the hour. It was 4:30 before I called her to come and get the completed form. I'm glad we took our time because I LOVE his name. We'll call him Ronin (it is the long o sound like in Row your boat). He's already got some really cute nicknames... Little Ro, Ro-Ro, and Roane. His middle name is Carver...that is John's mother's maiden name. Ronin is doing great. He passed all of his diabetes tests too, so we are all clear now! I hated that he had to get pricked, but I knew he would be fine since I controlled so well through diet and exercise. My doctor said his weight and my FAST delivery were a testament to how well I really had done with it.
Jax got to meet Ro yesterday! He was not at all interested in him. It was pretty funny. But today, he has been so interested in his eyes, his booboo on his feet, and his hat. He's given him lots of kisses too. I will blog on all of that soon, post pictures, and get this blog name changed . . . hopefully over the weekend.
Name . . . It didn't come to us immediately. In fact, they brought us the birth certificate early Wednesday morning and said to complete it within the hour. It was 4:30 before I called her to come and get the completed form. I'm glad we took our time because I LOVE his name. We'll call him Ronin (it is the long o sound like in Row your boat). He's already got some really cute nicknames... Little Ro, Ro-Ro, and Roane. His middle name is Carver...that is John's mother's maiden name. Ronin is doing great. He passed all of his diabetes tests too, so we are all clear now! I hated that he had to get pricked, but I knew he would be fine since I controlled so well through diet and exercise. My doctor said his weight and my FAST delivery were a testament to how well I really had done with it.
Jax got to meet Ro yesterday! He was not at all interested in him. It was pretty funny. But today, he has been so interested in his eyes, his booboo on his feet, and his hat. He's given him lots of kisses too. I will blog on all of that soon, post pictures, and get this blog name changed . . . hopefully over the weekend.
Comments
adam, claire & henry.