Every party has a pooper...
Every party has a pooper and that's why we invited you....Potty Pooper, Jax Wilson.
Okay, so I've watched Father of the Bride too many times, because that line is the first thing that came to mind when I started this blog . . .
Jax is doing so great with his potty training. He is all about taking care of his business on the potty now. And most of the time, if you ask him what he's been up to, he will tell you "poopoo and teetee in potty." He now goes all by himself to the potty to tee-tee and poo-poo. Sometimes I have to help him when he has on jeans and boots.....which I'm having a hard time getting him to wear anything but that. But this week he's even stopped asking for stickers to put on his chart. I am forcing the pull up on him at night because he typically will still get wet in the wee hours of the morning. But he doesn't want to wear them. He really wants to wear his underwear all the time. But mastering the issue of pooping in the potty is so great, unless you've had to clean up poopy underwear....you can't understand how exciting this is!
I was so proud of him this past weekend. I usually put pull ups on him during the weekend for travel, going out to eat, or church. But he WOULD NOT put them on before we headed to Grenada. It was a last minute, late-afternoon decision to meet John's family for dinner. So I just brought extra clothes and underwear and hoped for the best. We were almost to the Oakland exit when he said, "tee-tee." I assumed the worst, but he was dry and corrected me. He said, "No, tee-tee." John asked him if he could make it to Grammy's or if we needed to pull over. Jax said, "pull over." So we stopped at Oakland and John took him out behind this shut down gas station. Much better than the germy public bathroom, ha. He had no accidents Saturday or Sunday. I think we went to the potty twice at church. I was so proud of him. He does sometimes have accidents, but not everyday. Overall he is doing just great.
Too much information....so read below at your own risk.
I do have to share his first lie though. While we have been good about praising his potty training efforts, we've had to be careful about not getting on to him for accidents. We realized that he was starting to feel bad or shameful when he had an accident. It was the last Saturday of May, but Vangie and I were out by the pool with the kids. I went inside to put Ro down for his nap. When I came back out Vangie said Jax had told her teetee. So I looked, and he was standing way away from us and acting weird. I asked him if he tee-teed already and he nodded his head. I told him that it was okay. I understood why it happened, and that it was okay to have an accident. So then he smiled and RAN over to me. I had brought him a plate of pimento cheese and crackers. Then he pointed at the ground and said "Ewwww, mommy." I looked down and saw poo-poo! My first reaction was ,"Where did this come from? Charlie (dog) did you do this?" To which Jax immediately said, "Uh-huh, Charlie poopoo." Immediately I knew it was him - especially with those swimming trunks on and said, "are you sure it wasn't jax?" And he said, "No. Charlie." So I let it go and told Charlie to use the potty or go in the grass next time. I took him in and got him some clean & dry swim trunks, but never let on that I knew. I was not about to embarrass him more by calling him on it. Of course, he's not old enough to read this blog and be embarrassed by the story. And I feel quite sure that by the time he can read it, he'll have embarrassed me enough to call it even.
Daddy and Jax . . . potty trip to the back of the shut down gas station
I have learned a valuable lesson about 2 year olds and chocolate. The lesson: Don't give chocolate for "potty treats." 2 year olds use the potty a whole lot more than adults. So a day of good potty training can quickly turn into enough sugar to energize a whole football team. And of course that kind of energy in a 2 year old can be really ugly. Stickers are working much better...why didn't I think of that before??!!!

Comments