Don't say peep about Poe


Jax has always slept with his little lovey that we named "Peep." At the time, I thought it was a sheep...so Peep came from Bo Peep. Anyway, it made sense before I realized it was in fact a dog. But regardless of animal type, Jax LOVES Peep and must sleep with him every night.

Plan A
In a preemptive effort to avoid disaster, I miraculously found another "peep" online. When it came in, I stashed it in a drawer. Peep number 2 was on standby. The first time we couldn't find Peep at bedtime, I got new Peep out of the drawer to perform his first role of Peep. But Jax took one look at him and would have nothing to do with him. In fact, he threw the 2nd Peep and said, "NO!! Peep." Nothing I could say would talk him into believing they were one in the same. I tried to convince him that peep just had a bath, but to no avail. So, it was a wasted $33. Yep, I really did pay that for the backup Peep. I couldn't for the life of me figure out why he'd want old peep instead of new peep anyway. New Peep was soft and looked much cleaner! I was even wondering if he might prefer the cleaner, plusher peep and want to toss the old one. But no such luck. Jax just wanted his Peep.





After all, they've been together for so long...



Plan B

We decided then to give 2nd peep his own name, and to see if we could get Jax to like new peep too. So 2nd Peep became "Poe." We thought maybe if something ever happened to peep, Jax would allow Poe to take his place. It seemed like a better plan from the beginning... being honest, not trying to trick him into thinking this strange peep was his very own...yes, I thought it just might work. So at bedtime, I would bring Poe with us to read Jax's story. It's a given that you must play up one's good traits, when trying to get your friends to accept them right?? So I did just that...I would say, "Poe is so sweet." Only to be told, "NO! Peep sweet." I would say, "Mommy loves Poe." And immediately hear, "No!! Mommy wuvs Peep." We also have a couple of Peep songs that (sigh, yes I made up). The main one is to the tune of "O Christmas Tree."


O Peep, Peep

O Peep, Peep

You are my favorite peep, Peep.

O Peep, Peep

O Peep, Peep

You are my favorite peep, Peep.

You are my friend,

you cuddle me.

You wait all day to snuggle me.

O Peep, Peep

O Peep, Peep

You are my favorite peep, Peep.


So I made up a song for Poe thinking it might help with the transition: (same tune as above, of course)

O Poe, Poe

O Poe, Poe

You are my favorite poe, Poe

O Poe, Poe

O Poe, Poe

You are my favorite poe, Poe

You are my friend;

You're not a foe

How you got here,

I still don't know.

O Poe, Poe

O Poe, Poe

You are my favorite poe, Poe.


I know you all are in awe of my secretly hidden song writing talent. Ha! It's one of those (annoying) talents uncovered by motherhood. Let's just say that the song didn't help. It would usually end with Poe being tossed overboard. So we moved on again to another plan.


Plan C

This plan has gone off without a hitch. Ronin has taken over Poe. Jax makes sure that Ro gets Poe when he goes to bed! I snuck in his room the other night just to catch a picture of them.






post signature

Comments

Kimberly said…
I love this post!
Adalie is attached to a lovey named Doe (don't ask why that's his name) and never has accepted a newer version either! Even after me trying to wash it a bunch to get the look of being truly used and loved. They are smarter than we think!
Thing I'm beginning to realize is that I think I love her Doe bunny as much as she does because I love the way she loves him and how he instantly makes all things better! I pray we never lose him since obviously a back up won't seem to suffice!
Doe & Peep must be good friends!
April S. said…
This post is so cute! I am very thankful that not only is Tatum attached to her Amigo Bear, she is attached to ALL THREE!! However, she just 'needs' one, so if we leave one behind at Grandmommy's house or something, another one will be fine.

I love that Ronin gets his own Poe. May you never lose Peep OR Poe now...lol
Amanda said…
Kimberly, I do remember seeing cute pictures of Adalie and Doe. I didn't try washing Poe over and over, but it sounds like it wouldn't have worked anyway. I have to laugh at our lovey names, Peep/Poe/Doe, all very easy names for babies to say! Like you, I pray for all of our sakes that the loveys never get lost.

April, your were smart in getting her hooked on a triplet lovey. Thanks a lot for making me realize that I have doubled my trouble...with 2 irreplaceble loveys. ha