Shots heard around the world

There are moments that I must ask myself "What Was I Thinking???" The day that I took all three boys for shots was one of those moments. Since we drive all the way to Memphis, I usually try to combine appointments when possible. However, I didn't think about the chaos of all three getting shots in one appointment. They fed off of the fears of each other. I forgot all about counseling skills and how to deescalate people during a crisis. In fact, I could have used some help deescalating myself!

I allowed Gunnar to go first because he was halfway undressed. Logically, this made sense at the time. However, if I had to do it over, I would let Jax go first!!! He is the one that understood the most about what was going on.

I took no picture of Gunnar. I couldn't put him down because he was screaming so loud. Ronin went second. It was not pretty. The cries of one became the cries of two.
The nurse said she had never seen anything quite like it. When I scooped Ronin up, there was this shell left on the table....made by his pants and boots. It was as if the shots scared the pants right off of him.

Don't let this calm face fool you. He fought! Really fought. John had a few wounds to prove it. My baby was traumatized before it even began.
Unfortunately, there was so much screaming and crying that we traumatized the entire doctor's office. I felt like their screams could be heard outside the building!!!


post signature

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Moses the Pumpkin

Banana Bedhead....

Jax's 3 1/2 year old birthday party